Pages

Thursday, July 6, 2017

Country of Bikes, City of Canals

Good morning Lovely People, 

I returned from Amsterdam and I thought I could share some memories with you. I should eat breakfast first, but I need time to unwind. If you think about it profoundly, I had a month of exams and while still being under pressure from waiting at my grades, I went on a citytrip. So let me nibble on my gluten-free oatmeal cookies. And sip some tea in the meantime as well :) 


Day 1

We got on the train around 8 A.M. After three hours of chatting and napping, we arrived in the City of Canals and (Crazy) Bikes. As our room was only available from 3 P.M. we had to do something with our time. First we decided to go to the Yoghurt Barn! There was so much to choose from, different dairy and vegan yoghurts, all sorts of seeds, nuts and fruits. I went for Strawberry, Pistachios and chunks of Dark Chocolate ♥︎ However, I was still hungry and we had plenty of time. That's why I went to eat pizza, haha! I need my food. 




It was time to leave Central Station and discover the city a bit. I was in Amsterdam a month earlier, so I knew in which direction to go. The truth is, I've never felt this lost in a city. The canals are just absolutely not a reference point.


Shop after shop, Starbucks, cheese and bikes, we've actually went all the way to our hotel on foot. That was about 8 km. Doesn't seem that much but when you repeat multiple times 'I think we'll be there in about 10 minutes' and get distracted by being a tourist, it took us more than three hours, haha! It was our first adventure though! The hotel we stayed at was Holiday Inn, the one in the south. It was clean, cozy and the reception was kind. Also, our breakfast was fresh and tasty. Nothing extraordinary, but I really enjoyed it! 



After spending some time in our room, we decided to go back to the city, because our goal was the Anne Frank House. All the online tickets were sold out, so you know what that means. If not, I'll tell you. A queue so long you could actually read a book properly. But that didn't happen because I didn't have one with me. It was already 4 P.M. so we decided to come back the next day again, but much earlier. 



If you blend dinner and supper, you know it's okay to be a sinner. We went to a restaurant in the center of the city, because for some reason we couldn't find any other ones after 20 minutes of walking. The one we found looked trendy and the menu presented all original and tasty dishes. Hard to say no, right? The picture below is what I ate, but didn't take it myself!





Day 2 

After breakfast, it was time to head to the Rijksmuseum. I was really into it, I love art! At 9 A.M. , there were no crowds yet, so we were lucky! Hold on tight, because I will overwhelm you with a large amount of pictures! 














After this relaxing adventure, it was time for lunch ♥︎ We went to Bagels & Beans. Even though I was in the mood for salmon, I went for this delicious one! It was a sesame bagel, with chicken, hummus, pumpkin seeds and rucola. On the side I had mango chutney. I didn't really know what it was, but it was a delicious mango jam with chilli. I loved every bite! 


Time for a new attempt to get into the Anne Frank House! We found the right street, with no map! Which I'd call a success, but we walked in the completely other direction. It's pretty funny we didn't realise it, because we passed so many fun shops that we haven't seen the day before. However, we only realised it when we stood at Prinsengracht 5 and still haven't passed the Anne Frank House. We walked all the way back, it was 2:30 P.M. They start selling tickets at 3:30 P.M. so you could say we really tried. As we arrived the queue was as long as the day before! It was crazy! Without exaggerating, there were at least 500 people in front of us. We had no choice, this was our main goal, we had to grit our teeth and hope for the best! However, when the tickets started selling, it went quite fast. 500 people in around 90 minutes. So we waited over two hours. 

We weren't allowed to take pictures, so there won't be any in this blog post. I'll try to describe my experience and feelings. First of all, I thought the entire house was smaller, but there were actually quite many rooms to see. We had a media guide, that's how it's called, right? Like these small, kind of phones. So in every room there was a short explanation of 2-3 minutes with facts, interviews and/or excepts from the Diary. Then it was time for the actual hiding place. Even though all the furniture was gone, it felt so real and unreal to walk in there, see the walls with pictures stuck by Anne herself. What my friend noticed, was a mirror and said 'isn't it impressive, that Anne Frank saw her own reflection in it?' YES, it is! Also, there was such a respectful silence the whole time we were in the house. In a world where we wonder what and when did it all go wrong, such small things give us hope. At least that's what I felt. I was really impressed. It was also a great place to reflect on things related to history and our society. After many emotions, it was time to unwind.

We got a bit hungry so that's why we went to PANCAKES. The name says itself, it was a place with a  large variety of both Dutch and American pancakes. Sweet and salty ones. It was hard to decide but if you love chocolate, our choice will make you fall in love at first sight! 




Day 3 

The last day we didn't have many plans. Only the Vondelpark, where we met a guy who was (like many other people) shocked that we said there is little to do in Amsterdam, haha! There were many museums and also shops, but in my opinion there were few impressive, MUST-SEE things. So we took the train at noon instead of 5 P.M. haha sorry if that upsets somebody!
















I hope you enjoyed this blog post! I also updated my Spotify Playlist.
 Those are the songs I listened to the past four hours while writing and editing pictures! 


MissCherry xo

No comments:

Post a Comment